grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface (implementation)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:40:43 +0200

2009/10/5 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think you misunderstand the meaning of margin_* properties. It means
>>> that the widget is always at a constant distance from parent widget.
>>> Once it's set, their position is fixed, it's not subject to the layout
>>> manger. This is used to create sticky panels like docks. For example:
>>>
>>> panel
>>> {
>>>  panel { id="aa" margin_bottom=0 }
>>>  panel { id="bb" }
>>>  panel { id="cc" }
>>>  panel { id="dd"}
>>> }
>>>
>>> aa's location is fixed, bb, cc and dd's location is calculated by the
>>> panel, they can overlap with aa.
>>>
>>> The sticky panel also doesn't move when view port is scrolled to
>>> display active item.
>>
>> No, dock is easily created like
>>
>> panel
>> {
>>  panel { id="aa" margin_bottom=0 }
>>  panel {
>>  panel { id="bb" }
>>  panel { id="cc" }
>>  panel { id="dd"}
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> A panel should never be removed from layout management, it then
>> becomes pointless.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes it's useful to have absolute address, for example to adjust
> the window according to the background image, it's quite tricky to do
> this with dynamic positioning. If you want everything to be controlled

How is it hard to measure the place where you want to place the
element on the background bitmap and use that place as the margin (or
outer space as you call it) and then align the element to the border
from which you measured (as in valign = bottom)?

You measure and enter the exact same value as you do with fixed
positioning but the layout manages makes sure that another element
does not cover your precisely positioned element.

> by the layout manger, just don't use the property and wrap panels
> around widgets.

That does not work because I want to insert spacing which the layout
manager does not do automatically.

> From your previous description, I think your meaning of margin is some
> kind of space left around the border of panel, I think that could be
> useful as well, but perhaps with a different name, I'm considering the
> following properties:
>
> inner_left, inner_right, inner_top, inner_bottom: space reserved
> inside the border
> outer_left, outer_right, outer_top, outer_bottom: space reserved
> outside the border
>
> Perhaps the naming of margin_* property is a little misleading,
> perhaps I can rename them distance_* to remind it they're used as
> fixed distance to borders of parent.

Yes. margin is normally used for spacing, not absolute positioning.
However, spacing and alignment can be used together to force an
absolute position without the need for yet another property.

Thanks

Michal