grub-devel

Re: 16-bit bootloader support?

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: 16-bit bootloader support?
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 22:22:27 +0200

Gabe Black wrote:

> So I have a real-time OS named Pharlap that has a 16-bit bootloader
> that ends up switching to 32-bit protected mode and loads the OS.  I
> think it relies on the first sector of the partition being loaded and
> execution simply started - but in real-mode.

Why do you need realmode? Using real mode requires grub2 to use more
code. MAybe booting with multiboot in 32-bit mode would be a better
idea? If you need to do some specific tasks before switching to 32-bit
mode speak about it - adding them to multiboot may be useful.
>Is there any way to have grub do this (legacy or grub2)?  I tried
chainloading, but I think that may be loading it in 32-bit mode.  Any
pointers on what code I would have to modify to >create that option for
grub?
chainloading loads in realmode, even the A20 bug is reenabled if
possible. But I discourage usage of it. Chainloading is as unportable as
you can get.