grub-devel

Re: Using network informations from PXE as grub2 enviroment variables

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Using network informations from PXE as grub2 enviroment variables
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:57:47 +0200

Aleš Kapica wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> You have missunderstood my previous post from Thu, 15 Oct 2009
> 08:52:01 +0200 when I post patch, which fixies problem with
> identification of the booting machine in network by IP address.
> The following discussion have nothing to do with my post. I want to
> clarify porpose of my patch.
>
> Nobody can't use options 150 from DHCP, because GRUB2 don't have any
> driver for network adapters. Network task are done only through
> adapters PXE firmware. PXE passes informations only about IP
> addresses, but no DHCP options.

I let someone more familiar with PXE than me to answer this.
> In current state these informations is possible only to list, that
> means that they aren't a part of the grubs environment.
> My patch solve this. Now is this possible to set PXE informations as
> grubs environment variables, and use in them in grub.cfg for
> identification of the booting machine.
>
> Is there any problem with adding of my patch?

I've looked into your first patch. The idea is good however patch has
some problems:
1) Don't hardcode array sizes. Use sizeof ("XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX") instead
2) Exporting variables shouldn't require user to run a command. Just
export them as soon as possible (e.g. on module load)
3) "your_ip" is problematic name. I would prefer "local_ip" and "remote_ip"