grub-devel

Test on powerpc: what means '/boot/grub must be a mount point.'

From: rubisher
Subject: Test on powerpc: what means '/boot/grub must be a mount point.'
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:50:19 +0000

Hello all,

Some time ago, I tried to install a debian distro (iirc 5.0) with net-install
cd on a IBM p510 lpar.
All works fine, but the yaboot which cd installed failed to boot this installation :_(. I well reported the issue but never get feedback :_(

On the other hand I reach to install an opensuse 10.3 on another virtual SCSI
disk which boot fine:

It's a very simple disk layout:
                                                   cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.14.1)

                                                        Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                                                  Size: 10737418240 bytes, 10.7
GB
                                        Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63
Cylinders: 1305

      Name                Flags              Part Type        FS Type
          [Label]                 Size (MB)

sda1 Boot Primary FAT16 ['root' ] 24.68
      sda2                                    Primary         Linux LVM
                                   10709.32

and following mounted fs:
 # mount
/dev/mapper/system-root on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/mapper/system-home on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

My debian disk layout is a bit more scattered:
                                                   cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.14.1)

                                                        Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
                                                  Size: 12884901888 bytes, 12.8
GB
                                        Heads: 64   Sectors per Track: 32
Cylinders: 12288

      Name                Flags              Part Type        FS Type
          [Label]                 Size (MB)

sdb1 Boot Primary PPC PReP Boot 0.44 * Unusable 22.64 *
      sdb2                                    Primary         Linux
                                       8.39
      sdb3                                    Primary         Linux ext3
                                     262.15
      sdb5                                    Logical         Linux swap /
Solaris                                  3144.68
sdb6 Logical Linux ext3 2097.16
      sdb7                                    Logical         Linux LVM
                                    7349.47

but I can easily manage it with a chroot in the opensuse one with following
additional mounted fs:
/dev/sdb6 on /mnt/NewInst type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb3 on /mnt/NewInst/boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/p5tst001vg-var on /mnt/NewInst/var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/p5tst001vg-tmp on /mnt/NewInst/tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/p5tst001vg-home on /mnt/NewInst/home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/p5tst001vg-Sources on /mnt/NewInst/Sources type ext3 (rw)
/proc on /mnt/NewInst/proc type none (rw,bind)
/dev on /mnt/NewInst/dev type none (rw,bind)
/dev/pts on /mnt/NewInst/dev/pts type none (rw,bind)
/sys on /mnt/NewInst/sys type none (rw,bind)

Now that debian as a precompiled grub-ieee1275 actually a grub2 1.96+20080724 for powerpc with an open firmware, before compiling latest svn, I would like to get a try but:
(p5_sid)address@hidden:~# grub-install hd1
/boot/grub must be a mount point.

I googled a bit but I just learn that '/boot/grub' must be a mount point,
though.

If so my guess is that I would have to reformat my sdb1 slice (currently a 'PPC PReP Boot' fs type) as a FAT16 so that I would be able to use it as the /boot/grub mount point?

Would it be what I have to do or would I have better to follow
<http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC>?

Thanks in advance for further advise/help,
        r.