grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:53:52 +0100

Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Felix Zielcke <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 19:38 -0800 schrieb Roman Shaposhnik:
>>
>>> Browsing the archives of grub-devel reveals that Lua support was moved to
>>> grub-extras which makes me ask these two questions:
>>>     1. Was the decision to move Lua based exclusively on the licensing
>>> concerns?
>>>
>> I don't think it was exclusively only decided because of the license,
>> but this is the top reason for it.
>>

> I'd appreciated knowing non-licensing reasons as well.

The only other reason was to encourage developpement of sh-like scripting.
> On the licensing front, though, what was an actual issue there?
> After all, Lua has a respectable FOSS license and I'm sure there's tons of
> MIT-licensed software in Debian. What made Lua different?

GNU isn't Debian. GNU has a very strong copyright policy and for code to
become GNU it usually has to be copyright-assigned to FSF. It's not the
case of LUA. So we created grub-extras specifically to hold code which
is perfectly legal, free and GPLv3-compatible but not suitable for GNU.
Any distribution which doesn't have anything against code not being
copyrighted by FSF shouldn't have any reason not to add grub-extras

--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko