grub-devel

Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Roadmap for LUA support in GRUB
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:54:48 +0100

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 03:34:27AM +0800, Bean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I see it, one problem of grub-extra is that it can't be compiled
> separately, so user have to setup an environment to build it,

Why?  Modules from grub-extras can be compiled in-tree just as fine.

> And as they have two revision system, this make
> it difficult to track previous bug.

I've been looking into migrating grub-extras to Bazaar, but haven't found
the time.  Would it help if I do this?

> And it's also the question of confidence, I don't see anyone
> claim responsibility for grub-extra, it' more like a garbage dump to
> me. It's hard to convince others to send patches on something that's
> not actively maintained.

I think you're presenting the problem in a way that can't have any possible
solution:

  - I made an open offer to anyone who would want to maintain LUA in
    grub-extras.  You weren't interested.

  - Now you say that you made a fork of GRUB because LUA in grub-extras
    isn't being properly maintained.

I'm afraid I can't help you there.  If you have other reasons for this, feel
free to explain them, and maybe we can find a solution.

--
Robert Millan