grub-devel

gPXE and GRUB2

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: gPXE and GRUB2
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:28:01 +0100

Hello, all. I'm currently importing gPXE into grub-extras to allow a
tighter interraction and integration. I would like to discuss
collaboration between our two projects. GRUB2 is under GPLv3+ and gPXE
is mostly GPLv2+-compatible. I will keep the original licences on all
imported files this way improvements made to files originating from gPXE
can find their way back. I see 3 collaboration models:
1) I import all files we need and which are under compatible licence. We
keep licences, notify you about improvements which may be worth
incorporating into gPXE
2) I write a python script which does automatic importing and adds few
GRUB-specific patches. This way syncronisation is easier. Patches which
aren't GRUB-specific would be redirected to gPXE
3) Add a secondary target to gPXE to produce series of GRUB modules. Due
to big differences between build systems this may be problematic and
result in frequent breakage

Of course any GPLv2-only file is excluded from this collaboration.
Currently I haven't finished importing so don't know which files may
pose problem and that I'll have to rewrite or import from a different
source. Currently I have following problems:
1) Some files like netl/mii.c are labeled as GPL without explicit version
2) Some files like net/ftp.c, net/icmpv6.c, net/ipv6.c, net/ndp.c and
include/gpxe/ndp.h
Would it be possible to clarify their legal status, if possible opt for
GPLv2+ or 2-clause BSDL
3) include/gpxe/list.h is under GPLv2-only. I already created a
workalike for it from scratch so it's not very important but would still
be nice if we could share this code one way or another.
4) A lot of drivers are GPLv2-only. Would it be possible to relicence
them as GPLv2+ ?

Technical comments are welcome too. Currently I imported directories net
and include/gpxe omitting files under unclear licence or GPLv2-only as
well as files core/base64.c, core/uri.c and core/uuid.c. The whole still
has 94 unresolved symbols and I'll work on fixing it.

Thanks in advance
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko