Re: gettext in build system

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: gettext in build system
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:32:52 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:56:06PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > > And I'm not sure if this is the right place to define _.  Isn't there
> > > a system-wide definition?
> > This, and others, sometimes go in a common .h to avoid duplication. Many
> > grub utilities are going to add this kind of stuff.
> I wonder where would we put this.  Is there any convention?

I'm not aware of any convention, not even for GNU packages. nls.h, i18n.h,
grub-i18n.h. You name it. :)

> > I haven't tested this patch yet, but I'm not sure if a bindtextdomain()
> > call is needed here too.
> This requires LOCALEDIR.  Should we add po.m4 in order to get this, or
> just define it ourselves?

*shrug*, I think just assuming the usual $(datadir)/locale is ok. po.m4
does provide checks for the gettext tools iirc, though, so that might
be useful in its own right.

> > The rest looks good, given there's no automake.
> We have aclocal now (in my branch).  Is gettext.m4 usable to us?

I think so, if platforms which don't use GNU gettext, or have an incompatible
gettext implementation are supported. It provides checks for gettext(),
ngettext(), setlocale() and friends, so yep, probably.

Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer
address@hidden     address@hidden
GnuPG public key information available at