grub-devel

Re: var=foo should be valid?

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: var=foo should be valid?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:48:56 +0100

Hello,

On Nov/30/2009, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 06:45:03PM +0000, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > On Nov/29/2009, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> (I don't know what the bug you're referring to is; both 'foo=bar' and
> 'set foo=bar' seem to work OK here. I may be missing some subtle
> problem, but if I'm missing it then users will too.)

the problem is easy to fix and I already have the fix ready (either fix
the current the bug or delete the var=foo feature) (well, as I said,
maybe we can re-implement the way that it's implemented now, but we can
discuss it later)

The bug is that if a module hooks into a variable (e.g. gettext does,
grub_register_varaible_hook) and then the user changes the value of the
variable using lang=newlang, the function that gets called is executed
but grub_errno is 16 (I think that was 16). Because I use grub_file_open
and grub_file_open is not working if grub_errno != 0 (no error) when
it's called then the gettext module cannot translate the strings using
the new language.

(I'm talking about the gettext module but potentially can affect other
modules of course)

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info