grub-devel

Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: fonts for gfxmenu, help needed
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:10:11 +0100

2009/11/30 Qianqian Fang <address@hidden>:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>
>> Aestetics is relative but uniform stroke width is not.
>>
>> Yes, I suspected it would not be a common character, my character
>> table does not list a meaning for it.
>>
>> However, similar issue can be seen with the 刀 character in the
>> microhei_24px and microhei_32px rasterization. In fact, the stroke
>> width is almost inverted in these two rasterizations although they are
>> supposedly the same font.
>>

> I agree with you that the CJK autohinter is far from perfect.
> It does a much worse job in smaller sizes.

If it does decent job on larger font sizes then perhaps we could
render a large enough font and rely on bitmap fonts for smaller sizes.

I guess I should also install some more fonts and try to convert them
to bitmap in Fontforge.

> Actually, you can find the unit that does the cjk autohinting, see
>
> http://opensource.apple.com/source/X11proto/X11proto-15.5/freetype/freetype-2.3.9/src/autofit/afcjk.c
> (this is a older version though, but just give you an idea)
>
> if anyone want to improve the algorithm in this unit, that
> will be really useful.

I can tell a uniform line thickness when I see it but if it was easy
to get with the autohinter surely somebody would fix it up.

Thanks

Michal