grub-devel

Re: Request: hdparm module with -X <transfer mode>

From: Christian Franke
Subject: Re: Request: hdparm module with -X <transfer mode>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:17:33 +0100

Nando wrote:

> I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a hdparm module as part of
> grub2. So I tried the -X
> parameter as is provided by the linux command line finding it
> isn't implemented. eg:
>
> # hdparm -X udma5 /dev/sda
>
> Can the development team consider adding this feature? A number of
> ppl's bios is incorrectly setting interfaces to UDMA2/MDMA2,
> particularly on pata optical drive interfaces which users are using a
> 2.5" HDDs instead via an optical bay caddy. The workaround being to
> wait for a (slow) Linux/Windows boot and then typing the above
> commandline. Doing this at the grub2 bootloader level being more
> preferable.

OK, added to my local TODO list :-)

Please note that GRUB hdparm does only work in conjunction with the
ata+ata_pthru modules because a PC BIOS does not provide any ATA
pass-through functionality. A 'hdparm -X' would only help if the actual
boot works with ata.mod instead of biosdisk.mod.

--
Regards,
Christian Franke