grub-devel

Re: my plan for Multiboot 2

From: Bogdan
Subject: Re: my plan for Multiboot 2
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:13:21 -0800 (PST)

Is it just me or does this whole thing on abandoning Multiboot 2 seem like a
terrible idea? (That's a retorical question since I've already talked to
several people in the OSDev community about it.) The only reason why people
still use Multiboot is because it's the best we've got. It's not flexible and
it's way behind the needs of current OSes.

Instead of several versions of Multiboot 1 popping up for other CPU
architectures we could just have Multiboot 2. One day people will finally
realise that no one can cope with Multiboot 1 anymore and by then we'll need to
support both Multiboot 1 and Multiboot 2 in all kernels/boot loaders even for
non-x86 architectures.

Cheers,
Bogdan