grub-devel

Re: Grub is the bootloader used on Win7?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Grub is the bootloader used on Win7?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:44:58 +0100

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 12:37:49AM -0600, address@hidden wrote:

> SLIC is part of the mechanism Windows (many versions) uses to volume
> license to OEMs and enable OEM recovery disks which only work on a
> particular brand or model of computer.  The SLIC is supposed to be
> included in the system BIOS by the OEM... but software pirates
> sometimes patch the SLIC into the BIOS or use a hotpatch program to
> load it before booting into Windows (Windows can't tell whether the
> SLIC came legit from an OEM BIOS or from a user hack).  It looks like
> this system is running an illegal copy of Windows, or at the very
> least improperly activated.  Since Windows 7 was released only in
> October, there should still be time to get a refund from the company
> who sold you the fake copy of Windows, the Microsoft Anti-piracy
> hotline would probably be helpful in forcing the company to provide
> you with a legitimate copy.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting.mspx

Hi,

Please don't refer to people who share code as "pirates".  It'd be much
better if they participated in our community instead of using and
distributing non-free software, but they're not criminals, and the
vast majority of them don't attack ships in the sea.

That aside, discussion about circumvention of copyright restriction
mechanisms is completely off-topic in this list.  Please bring it
elsewhere.

Thanks

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi