grub-devel

Re: grub.info

From: Bruce O. Benson
Subject: Re: grub.info
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:35:39 -0500

2009/12/30 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>

Bruce O. Benson wrote:

> ...Would that be useful for someone to check in to trunk/docs?  I
> don't wanna get deep into a piece of work like that if it's not wanted.

Be careful when merging with documents from wiki. Don't use content
written by someone else. Histors of http://grub.enbug.org/Manual lists
only 100 last revisions. It contains only you, Felix, chernomor
<http://grub.enbug.org/chernomor>, Karl Kashofer and Chris Kandle.
Assuming you sign copyright assignment then:
-chernomor's contribution is just wrong
-Karl's contribution is a link to another document
So these 2 should be just removed
Chris' edit is correct but copyright-insignificant so it should be kept
and needs no assignment
Unfortunately I was unable to check revision prior to r48

It would be unfortunate to lose the names.

OK I'm going to:
- insert statements of assignment for myself in the history log.
- insert a contributors section at the end.
- name the authors collectively as "GRUB Documentation Contributors"
- Insert an invariant version of the FDL, according to the FDL howto.
- insert a statement indicating contributions presume assignment of copyright to FSF.  This is specifically due to to GRUB being an FSF project.  Anybody else can change that.
- insert a statement encouraging contribution and addition of author names to the contributions section so names are not lost.
- insert other relevant FSF doc recommendations
- supporting texinfo in wiki comment

If the brz repo guys want to use another manual, then perhaps the wiki page could be moved to "QuickStart" or something fitting.

My Best,
Bruce