grub-devel

Re: grub.info

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub.info
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:25:13 +0100

Bruce O. Benson wrote:

> 2009/12/30 Bruce Dubbs <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>>
>
>     Bruce O. Benson wrote:
>
>         If the brz repo guys want to use another manual, then perhaps
>         the wiki page
>         could be moved to "QuickStart" or something fitting.
>

>     Ideally, the wiki 'Manual' page and the info document would track
>     each other.  I don't know how copyright issues would be handled
>     though.
>

> The promised actions are complete now.  The wiki manual page is called
> "GRUB 2 Manual", only to distinguish it and let it be a place to
> accumulate contributions.  It's not intended to make that the official
> page.  It can still be moved to another wiki page anytime if necessary.
>
> All contributors can safely, legally add/merge/move stuff there if
> desired, delete anything/everything I wrote, add attributions I could
> not find, etc.

It's not how it works. For the documentation to be accepted to GNU
project contributors have to sign legal papers.
Now I'm going to comment on value of manual:
"Installation via Package Management" is distribution-specific so it's
inappropriate for upstream manual
"Building / Installation from Source" is a part of INSTALL and we
already have this
"Utilities" - description of tools is inappropriate. User doesn't care
if it's ELF or text file but how to use them.
"Pre-Boot" - is wrong. MBR doesn't point anywhere it's executable code.
"grub-rescue" part is wrong too
"Lua shell" is part of grub-extras, not grub itself.
In whole the manual is vague, contains inappropriate or inexact information.
If we merge any part of this manual into bzr we would need to proofread
every patch