grub-devel

Re: Setting of PE bit reboots the system

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Setting of PE bit reboots the system
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:54:59 -0600

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Swapnil Pimpale
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on GRUB 2 on Intel Core 2 Duo architecture. As a part of
> my academic project, I need to bring up the second core.
> When the second core comes up, I need to switch from real mode to
> protected mode.
> For this, I am trying to set the PE bit of cr0 register. But, whenever
> I set the PE bit the system reboots.
>
> Is there any solution on this problem?

What do you expect to accomplish on the second core?  Are you trying
to boot a different OS on each core?

Every general purpose OS expects to be activated on the first core
with no other cores running and to have possession of all RAM.  You'll
either need a specialty kernel (for all active OSes) or a
virtualization layer.

Does the reboot happen immediately when you set the PE bit, or does
that cause something to fail later (maybe in the OS startup code)?