grub-devel

Re: xorriso and EFI boot images

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: xorriso and EFI boot images
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:11:57 +0200

Hi,

> > i have scruples about the semantics of
> > Platform ID which is global to the whole boot
> > catalog.
> Section header specifies the platform id of section entry

Oh. Somehow i oversaw that.

> > [detection of capabilities of xorriso version]
> What about checking error status of xorrisofs --foo -o dummy.iso dummy/ ?

That should work too, of course.

xorriso allows to define severity threshholds
for abort, for exit values with problematic
runs which did not get aborted, and for
verbosity. E.g.:

  xorriso -abort_on FAILURE \
          -return_with WARNING 32 \
          -report_about HINT \
          -as mkisofs ...

If we let the user interpret the complaints of
xorriso then we should make it rather unverbous.
Severity HINT is one notch lower than severity
WARNING. No NOTE or UPDATE messages will appear.

Using
  xorriso ... -as mkisofs ...
rather than
  xorrisofs ...
has several advantages.
One can use its own richer option set before
switching to mkisofs emulation, and one can
easily use not-installed xorriso binaries, like
  /home/me/xorriso-0.x.y/xorriso/xorriso

Have a nice day :)

Thomas