grub-devel

Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: grub2 and hybrid MBR booting
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:31:50 +0200

On 07/03/2010 01:41 AM, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> On 07/01/10 15:42, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>> After moving of partitions containing it's recommended to reinstall
>> bootloader
>

>> But I don't see the need to standartise the interface between MBR code
>> and the rest. Standartisation is good only for interoperability between
>> different software. But in this case both parts are from the same
>> bootloader so it will only reduce flexibility.
>
> Two pieces of software: bootloader (e.g. GRUB 2) and partition
> mover/rearranger (e.g. Parted).
>
> I say it would be nice if on GPT with recommended GRUB install
> (including using BIOS Boot Partition), if we did not "[recommend] to
> reinstall bootloader" but instead promised that everything* would keep
> working without any bootloader reinstall.
>
> *except if partition numbering is rearranged and grub.cfg uses
> partition numbers not UUIDs, then the grub.cfg may need editing, but
> this is no different than a Linux partition's /etc/fstab maybe needing
> editing.
>
> Is it possible for us to promise that?--what are the disadvantages of
> doing so?

You answered your question yourself. Every way of locating breaks on
some changes. Which exactly depends on chosen way. While fixed LBA is
perhaps the worse method for locating a partition others offer
advantages only in face of certain kind of changes and not others. You
need to know the mechanism well in order to assess if reinstall is
needed after your changes. It's easier and safer to just always reinstall