grub-devel

Re: Grub update?

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Grub update?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:11:01 +0100

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 02:01:10PM -0400, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 01:42 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
>> The next screen after that should have a set of drives to select; this
>> has worked perfectly in my testing.  If it doesn't then that's a problem
>> at some other layer ...
>>
>> (You may have to use Tab to get to the OK button before pressing Return,
>> or something.)
>>
>> In any case, this isn't really a GRUB problem, but more a problem with
>> Debian; you should ask about it in some Debian context, perhaps
>> debian-user.
>
> Thanks for reply Colin.
>
> I needed to hit the tab button to highlight "<OK>" but now I get the
> list, & it has a red cursor, that when I hit return in the appropriate
> item, it goes to "<OK>" & I hit return, & get this:
[...]
> Of course, I select <No> & it brings me back to the option lists, etc.
> again.How do I select an option?

Press Space with the relevant checkbox highlighted.

> I think this is a grub problem (insufficient (& rather non standard (?)
> instructions to select options!).

This list deals with the upstream GRUB code.  The problems you are
having are with the Debian packaging (or, more strictly, with debconf's
dialog frontend, which isn't a part of the Debian GRUB packaging at all
although it does make use of it due to Debian packaging standards).  I
appreciate that it is not always easy for a user to tell the difference,
but that is why I am advising you.

The problem with having the dialog advise you to press Space is that the
method for selecting a checkbox varies depending on the frontend in use.
Many people will be using (e.g.) the GNOME frontend and if I made the
packaging advise you to press Space then this would make no sense to
them.

If you wish to continue this discussion, then perhaps you could file a
Debian bug report on the grub-pc package?  It's not really on-topic for
this list.

Cheers,