grub-devel

Re: Problems booting Linux via PXE

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Problems booting Linux via PXE
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:01:43 +0200

On 08/27/2010 12:55 AM, Turner, Ian wrote:
>> On 08/25/2010 09:02 PM, Turner, Ian wrote:
>>
>>> I’m having some trouble using GRUB to boot Linux via PXE.
>>>

>> Could you try newreloc branch which is about to be merged?
>>
> The newreloc branch solved the problem and allowed me to successfully boot
> Linux, but I noticed a few other problems getting the branch to compile:
>
> 1. 'make dist' is totally broken; I think this is because some files were
> moved around or just removed (e.g., kern/i386/loader.S) and the build scripts
> were never updated.

I corrected the failure of make dist but it's still broken (some files
not included)
> 2. grub-core/kern/emu/misc.c seems to assume that libdevmapper will define
> dm_log_with_errno_init, which it does not on my system (RHEL 5.2).
> Configuring with --disable-device-mapper made this go away for me, since I
> don't need DM functionality.

Fixed.
> 3. It looks like grub does not compile properly if CFLAGS or LDFLAGS contains
> -m64 (standard in our environment); it's probably a good idea to consider
> checking for these at configure time.

CFLAGS and LDFLAGS should have no such effect. Perhaps you set TARGET_*
variables as well? Those are meant for cross-compiling (and we actualy
cross-compile). Setting them to anything other than the options for
target architecture (in this case i386) would have an unpredictable
effect. And there is no way our build system can check for every
possible annoying parameter. My recomendation is GRUB to be excluded
from any default compile flags at packaging level.