grub-devel

HP laptop crashes (not booting any more) after fixing uefi variables

From: George Buranov
Subject: HP laptop crashes (not booting any more) after fixing uefi variables
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:48:45 +0300

Hello everybody.

I have a question, that does not deal directly with grub2, however I found this issue when investigating grub2 for UEFI. I noticed that when I change/add new UEFI boot variables (both Boot#### and BootOrder), after the change the system becomes unbootable.

Unbootable means really "brick" - even BIOS screen is not loaded. This occurred twice on HP laptop only. I was able to fix the issue only by hardware NVRAM rewriting in service.

I can't reproduce the issue on other UEFI computers....

Don't you notice the same stuff when investigation UEFI booting?

Regards,

Georgy