How to debug 'out of disk' error.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: How to debug 'out of disk' error.
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:13:33 -0400

I am trying to figure out why grub2 (from Debian Squeeze) gives an 'out
of disk' error when trying to boot from the HD after doing an install.
It ends up at a grub rescue prompt, given it can't even read the disk
well enough to load the full grub.  Doing ls shows the disks, and I can
show the root directory of a partition, but anything further seems to
hit the same 'out of disk' error.

The system is a Compulab CM-iTC which uses an intel tunnelcreek atom
(the new one) with a phoenix bios.  So far Compulab's response when told
it won't boot grub2 was "We know, but syslinux works fine.", which to
me is not a solution at all.  The same system also hangs the Linux 2.6.32
kernel unless 'edd=off' is added to the kernel command line.

So any suggestions on how to go about debuagging this?  Or even any
ideas why grub would give such an error.

Len Sorensen