grub-devel

Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:50:01 +0200

On 16.03.2011 16:13, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I am trying to figure out why grub2 (from Debian Squeeze) gives an 'out
> of disk' error when trying to boot from the HD after doing an install.
> It ends up at a grub rescue prompt, given it can't even read the disk
> well enough to load the full grub.  Doing ls shows the disks, and I can
> show the root directory of a partition, but anything further seems to
> hit the same 'out of disk' error.

I have another idea. Could you try GRUB 1.97 and GRUB Legacy? A similar
report on our BTS seems to indicate that GRUB Legacy works. Major
difference between Legacy and latest GRUB2 is that GRUB2 uses C-wrappers
around BIOS calls whereas in GRUB Legacy they are in asm. The change
happened after 1.97

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko