grub-devel

Re: With grub.cfg Linux Kernel boot hangs

From: Naresh Bhat
Subject: Re: With grub.cfg Linux Kernel boot hangs
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:24:06 +0530

Hi Vladimir

The second menu entry is booted without providing noefi

==========================My Second Menuentry=====================
menuentry "Linux-2.6.32.28 Kernel with custom ramdisk image" {
      linux (hd2,gpt2)/bzImage
      initrd (hd2,gpt2)/ramdisk.img
}

The above menuentry is booting without any issues.

But, the first menu entry is booting without any issues  If and only
if, I load the kernel manually and execute boot command as below

Shell> fs1:
fs1:\> cd efi
fs1:\efi> cd grub
fs1:\efi\grub> grub.efi

grub> set debug=video
grub> insmod efi_gop
grub> linux (hd2,gpt2)/bzImage-2.6.32.28
<----------------- ( bzImage + ramdisk.img - Combined image)
grub> boot

Now, My problem is that When I create a menu entry for the above
manual commands I can see the following message on the screen and
system will hangs...The menu entry I have created as below

=========================My First Menuentry===================================
set debug=video
insmod efi_gop

menuentry "Linux Kernel-2.6.32.28 (Single Image)" {
       linux (hd2,gpt2)/bzImage-2.6.32
}

Now my questions are
1. Is there any size limitations for Kernel Image which is loaded from
EFI shell ?
2. Is there any size limitations for ramdisk Image which is loaded
from EFI shell ?

-- Naresh Bhat
"For things to change, we must change"