grub-devel

Re: Would a cleanup+extending of docs/multiboot.h be acceptable?

From: Goswin von Brederlow
Subject: Re: Would a cleanup+extending of docs/multiboot.h be acceptable?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:50:17 +0200

"Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07.04.2011 14:09, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working on a 32bit->64bit trampoline based on the example
>> kernel that just switches to 64bit mode and executes a real kernel
>> passed as module. As real kernel I want to use grubs example kernel as
>> well to just verify the multiboot infos passed through the trampoline
>> are intact.
> Please don't use outdated code as base. Now we work on multiboot2 and

I've seen multiboot2 mentioned but I can't find specs for it. What I
did find are the "Multiboot Specification version 0.6.96" [1]

So where is this multiboot2?

> before just "let's replace all 32 with 64" some things like page table
> need to be duîscussed. Please start a discussion thread for those

Actualy what I needed to do was replace the 64 with 32. My 64bit mode
still uses the multiboot specs with its 32bit fields. I use that because
that is what grub and kvm give me. Most changes were just to make it use
32bit data types in 32bit and 64bit mode as required by the specs.

For page tables I use 6 pages. 1x Level 4, 1x Level 3, 4x Level 2 with
2MB granularity creating a 1:1 mapping of the first 4 GB ram. But I've
been thinking that maybe the multiboot header could have entries for
the gpt and page table to be used. But that is something do discuss in
another thread.

MfG
        Goswin

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html