grub-devel

Boot sector for ext2

From: Martin Rosenau
Subject: Boot sector for ext2
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 09:31:14 +0200

Hello everyone.

I am new to GRUB development.

I wrote a tool I wish to publish under GPL that may be integrated into GRUB instead of publishing as separate tool:

Background: In a multi-OS-environment it is sometimes not possible installing GRUB on the MBR (Windows Vista has problems then!) Installing GRUB on an ext2 partition (instead of on the MBR) often requires "block lists" which often do not work.

I wrote a boot sector that is capable to search a file on the ext2 partition by file name (not by inode or block number etc...) and load it. Because the entire code is quite small it fits into the boot sector and "block lists" are not required.

This would also allow to use different "core.img" files (e.g. one booting Linux and one booting Memtest) when booting GRUB from a chain loader (e.g Windows' boot menu).

I did not have the possibility to fully test the tool, yet.

Are you interested in integrating this tool into GRUB?

Have a nice weekend.

Martin