grub-devel

Re: possible gpl violation in easybcd

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: possible gpl violation in easybcd
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:00:10 +0200

On 10.05.2011 21:55, matthieu castet wrote:
> Hi,
>

> easybcd (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) is a tools that provide a
> modified version of grub [1].
>
> At install time the EULA say [2].
> The address@hidden doesn't work (doesn't exist).
>
> Using the address@hidden [3] I got a reply [4]
>
> Even if they didn't do any modification, I think they should :
> - provide a valid email in their EULA
This isn't a requirement of any of licenses satisfying DFSG (including
GPL). It's perfectly fine to distribute completely anonymously.
> - provide a copy of the GPL
Yes. GPL has to be provided
> - provide the version they used and modification they done (if any).

They have to provide either a complete source or a written offer to ship
one if requested. But first check that they really don't have any source
code archive on their website since it's perfectly fine to have a
binary-only archive as long as they also provide an archive containing
source code.