grub-devel

Re: Contribution: a file loading module

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Contribution: a file loading module
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:57:44 +0200

On 23.06.2011 21:41, Pierre-Nicolas Clauss wrote:
> Basically, I wanted to have a small chainloader of mine to load my kernel.
> IIRC, I cannot use both the 'kernel' and 'chainloader' commands
> together, so I just skipped using a multiboot compliant kernel and
> have the chainloader to jump at a given address (1MB).
> This module is only intended to load the kernel at this expected
> address, so I only rely on the 'chainloader' command.

You need to just add a small header to make this kernel
multiboot-compliant (read multiboot header and multiboot kludge)
> But again, I'll try to make the whole thing a clean loader.
> If I come up with such a loader, do you consider it could be eligible
> for inclusion in grub ? Maybe maintaining the loaders for all the
> kernel formats of hobbyist like me is not what you wish for...
Nope. We won't maintain loaders for a single system which will always
stay extremely minor (if your OS becomes major it can be reconsidered).

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko