grub-devel

Re: New command to check NT's hibernation state

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: New command to check NT's hibernation state
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 07:05:06 +0100

Hello.
On 02.12.2011 06:16, Peter Lustig wrote:
Thanks for this. However the coding style isn't according to our standards. Could you adjust to the standard? I recommend looking at other code and reading GNU Coding Standard. E.g. we don't use {0} initialiser, return value of commands, C++ comments or M$-$tyle variables.

Sorry about that. I've reviewed the standard and perused the source tree, as you suggested, to determine the best style. Attached is my updated file.

Much better. There are still few problems like the arbitrary limit (we avoid any arbitrary limits, you have one easy to avoid on filename length). Also we don't use such ABORT macros as they offer no readability advantage. Review in more details when time permits.
Glad to be of help,
Peter Lustig

P.S. Do you know if there are any plans in the future to implement write operations for filesystems? (I noticed raw disk writing is currently supported.) If not, is the reason due to the technical challenges (e.g. NTFS only had read-only access in GNU/Linux for quite a while) or just a general lack of interest?
Neither. Reliability concerns. Writing to filesystem is potentially dangerous and needs to be throughly tested. Since writing is rare for bootloader we won't receive enough testing of these code pathes so every write will remain a risk. We can't have such risks.