grub-devel

Re: [BUG] GRUBs option parsing needs fixing

From: Andreas Vogel
Subject: Re: [BUG] GRUBs option parsing needs fixing
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 02:59:25 +0100

Am 11.03.2012 02:01, schrieb Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko:
>> It hurts that you think that I don't follow basic rules of communication
>> and cooperation.
> That's the expression I've got. My position shifted somewhat but yours
> remains unchanged. You look stubborn from this angle.
Then I'm sorry that I was not able to make it clear what I really
wanted. First of all I wanted to get feedback about my ideas and about
the possibilities for changes.

> Yes. And allowing "-s root" to continue is more important than to allow
> -s with no argument.
Don't get your point here. "-s" with no argument is already allowed.
This is actually causing the "unexpected behavior" I'm talking about.

> Actually another possibility is to keep this or this + 2 other
> occurencies to this behaviour while making all future uses to the GNU
> standards.
I think we are on the same road.

I understand now that it's impossible to change the argument parsing for
existing options taking optional arguments. I was just missing this
clear statement from your side (btw, right now I wonder myself why i
didn't ask you this directly).

I just didn't expect that you would even think about to agree having 3
options to behave the "old" way while allowing a "new" GRUB conformant
way which will be used for new options taking optional arguments.
This is a compromise which I think we really should go for.

> We can rename ARG_OPTIONAL to ARG_OLD_OPTIONAL, make ARG_OLD_OPTIONAL to
> behave as to ignore X in  --set X as possible argument.
I don't understand that.

The "old" behavior, e.g. for "search -s|--set", is that if there is no
argument "-s" or "--set" needs to be followed by another option or by
"--". In other words: any argument which is not an option that follows
-s or --set will be taken as the argument for -s or --set. That's the
current situation.