grub-devel

Re: chained grub2 derivative bootauto system

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: chained grub2 derivative bootauto system
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:43:17 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 02:20:22PM -0700, ivo welch wrote:
> dear grub2 developers:
>
> I have wrestled often with the problems of setting up grub2 on new systems.
>   I know booting is a low-level science in itself, so I don't dare to
> pretend that I know anything.  but I wanted to put up a small starting
> bounty of $500 for a grub2 derivative  type of boot loader, to be made
> available GPL, of course, in the main linux distributions (such as ubuntu)
> if one knowledgeable developer finds this interesting.

I consider most of it impossible.  The bits that could be done are
already possible in grub2 as far as I know.

> from the user perspective, this booting system should work as follows:

If you want to change the user perspective, go get a time machine and
go get IBM/Microsoft/etc to design a much better boot interface than
the PC has had since the begining.

> if the user holds any key during the boot process, the new "B" loader (call
> it bootauto.bin) would scan all available partitions for bootable systems
> (such as Windows, linux, freebsd, etc.) and all root partitions for *.iso
> files, and present the user with a list of what it found where, and put the
> default selection line on the OS that was most recently booted.  the user
> should be able to select one of these, and then proceed booting from them.
>  the user presumably could also enter command line options at this stage,
> choose a common option (such as "rescue", "single user", or "single user
> read-only"), or possibly see all kernels, including older ones.
>  bootauto.bin obviously needs a whole lot more intelligence at boot time
> than what grub2 has.

You can't boot iso files in general.  You can have special handlers
for specific isos (such as debian or ubuntu or fedora install images)
that knows which files to look for in the iso and which arguments to
pass in order to get that installer to work with an iso rather than an
actual cd/dvd.  There is no way for the boot loader to make an iso on a
disk look like a cd/dvd drive in such a way that whatever you boot can
actually use it as a real cd/dvd.  Once you leave the boot loader it is
all up to the OS you boot to take care of things.  At best you get a
kernel, some ramdisk image, maybe a few modules and some arguments.
The OS is then on its own.

> if the user does not hold down a key, then bootauto.bin would boot whatever
> it booted last, without delay.

Great so now the boot loader has to store data somewhere.  Boot loaders
try to avoid writing.  Writing is much harder (and more dangerous)
than reading.  Especially to filesystems.

> the setup is similar to an OSX boot, where holding down an "ALT" key
> presents all bootable OS's that are found.

The Mac only handles the OSs it knows about, and it has pretty nice
firmware to take care of it (including persistent storage in the firmware,
rather than having to write to disk to remember things).  Also according
to what I read recently, Macs have only VERY recently started to allow
booting from USB.

> there would be no more grub configuration files, grub-install commands,
> etc.  bootauto.bin would do it all.  bootauto.bin would presumably always
> reside in a fixed spot, such as /bootauto.bin, and all that the boot sector
> would have to do would be to find it and pass control to it.

You can not fit code in a boot sector to find anything.  The boot sector
can only store enough to get something from a known location.
You typically have 448 bytes total in the boot sector.

This is why sensible system designs (IBM powerpc, EFI, etc) have a
specific boot partition instead of a boot sector.  That way you actually
have enough space for a boot loader.  The old PC BIOS based system is
awful that way.  The standard boot sector on a PC was simply a bit of
code that would read from the partition marked 'bootable' on drive 0x80
(first hard disk) and look in the root directory for a specific filename
to get the cluster chain to read.  FAT file system is VERY simple to read,
and by not supporting subdirectories it gets simpler yet.  And it just
barely fits in the boot sector.

> from a user perspective, creating live USB flash sticks with multiple OS's,
> or booting from another hard disk now becomes much simpler.  end users only
> need to connect the bootable device or connect USB stick with a couple of
> ISOs on them, and it just works.
>
> the system-wide first-time installation of the bootloader would consist of
> one command that copies the bootauto.bin file to a designated partition and
> writes the bootsector.  "bootauto-install /dev/sda /mnt/sda1" would install
> the boot sector on /dev/sda that chain loads the B loader bootauto.bin on
> mnt/sda1/bootauto.bin (whatever file system /mnt/sda1/ uses; could be ntfs,
> ext4, etc).  the only error should be that /mnt/sda1 cannot be written.  no
> mysterious chroots, no --binds, no uuid's, no grub configuration file
> consultation.  no problems if disks get rearranged on the next boot. simple.

Actually rearranging would very much be a problem.  The boot sector
is tiny.  About the only thing it can do is have a hardcoded sector
location to go read the actual boot loader from.  Since it would be
hard coded at install time into the boot sector, you can't move the boot
loader file(s) or partition in any way.

> it doesn't have to work on legacy systems more than 5 years old, either.
>  this is to move forward. /bootauto.bin can be big.

In that case, use EFI and make a boot partition for the boot loader to
be in as the spec says you should.  That solves the above problems.

--
Len Sorensen