grub-devel

Re: [2.00] grub-install use on UEFI system?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [2.00] grub-install use on UEFI system?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:54:16 -0600

On Sep 26, 2012, at 3:12 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

> grub-install --help

I'll argue --help is not a manual, and the results on this point are confusing.
The GRUB2 manual is devoid of useful UEFI information, actually it doesn't
mention UEFI at all, and the parts that mention EFI are obscure.

  --boot-directory=DIR    install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub2
                          instead of the /boot/grub2 directory

This is clear. What I specify will have /grub2/ (this is Fedora) added-on.

  --efi-directory=DIR     use DIR as the EFI System Partition root.

This makes no sense. On the one hand it's indicating that grub.efi ends up
precisely in the location I supply. If I supply =/boot/efi then grub.efi will
end up there, which on linux systems will be free-floating at the EFI System
partition root, and it won't be found by the firmware. If grub-install supplies
the /efi/grub/ add-on to whatever I supply, this needs to be in the --help
results just like it is for --boot-directory.

--help implies that if I specify /boot/efi/efi/grub/ that grub.efi ends up in a
suitable location, but this is not "the EFI System Partition" root.

So --help, at the moment, is almost useless. I have to poke it with a stick to
find out how it's going to work.

Chris Murphy