grub-devel

Re: pvgrub2 is merged

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: pvgrub2 is merged
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:24:22 +0000

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 09:52:20PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Hello, all. pvgrub2 has just became part of upstream grub as ports
> i386-xen and x86_64-xen.

Could anyone offer packaging advice for which ports should be built
here?  Is it reasonable to assume that a 32-bit userspace only needs the
32-bit Xen port and a 64-bit userspace only needs the 64-bit Xen port,
or is it possible that there could be cross-architecture combinations
here?  Does the architecture of the GRUB port have to match the
architecture of the Xen hypervisor?

For those familiar with Debian packaging, I'm trying to work out whether
it's sufficient to just build grub-xen{,-bin,-dbg} packages which would
be i386-xen on i386 and x86_64-xen on amd64, or whether I have to have
two variants on each architecture the way I do for EFI.  All other
things being equal I'd prefer to keep the package count as low as
possible, but only if that won't break real-world use cases.

Thanks,