grub-devel

Re: please attempt to minimize string changes

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: please attempt to minimize string changes
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:28:58 +0100

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013, at 0:55, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Hello, currently bug-grub is subscriber-only list. I'll think of how to
> change this. Probably it will be changed to moderated or the mail for
> msgid bugs will be changed to another ML (the one I currently
> redirecting you to).

Thanks.  Yes, the devel list would be good, I think.

> > By the way, in grub-core/commands/terminal.c, couldn't
> >   "[--append|--remove] [TERMINAL1] [TERMINAL2] ..."
> > simply be:
> >   "[--append|--remove] [TERMINAL...]"?
>
> I find second less clear since it's more difficult to guess that the
> "..." stands for ("[TERMINAL3]",...)

As Andrey pointed out, it is the standard way in Unix manuals,
the dots meaning: "as many more of the preceding as you want".

And the dots are used that way in many other places in grub, and
therefore seeing "[TERMINAL1] [TERMINAL2] ..." confuses me
-- do I have to provdide two terminals? no, the first is optional,
ehm, and the second too, ehm, so why are two mentioned?

> When proofreading Ukrainian and French translations we've found a number
> of unclear msgids. I'll make beta2 tomorrow to reflect those changes.

Okay, thanks.

Regards,

Benno