grub-devel

Re: Grub2 theme bug with relative numeric values for boot_menu?

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub2 theme bug with relative numeric values for boot_menu?
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:47:27 +0400

В Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:06:03 -0400
John Hupp <address@hidden> пишет:

> >> Grub responded well to % values for the numeric values in the progress
> >> bar and labels.  Also OK with %'s for boot_menu properties top, left,
> >> height, width.
> >>
> >> But I'm getting bad behavior with item_height and the other properties.
> >> For a 1024x768 grub display and an original setting of item_height = 26,
> >> I can't get equivalent output unless I set item_height = 27%
> >>
> > These properties do not even understand proportional units. If you are
> > using modified grub which adds support for it, please post patch,
> > otherwise it is impossible to make any useful comment.
>
> I did not know that these properties do not understand proportional
> units.  The documentation indicated that ALL numeric property values
> could be absolute or relative/proportional.

I re-checked grub2 manual for 2.00 and it explicitly says that
item_height is in pixel; it lists several properties for which support
for proportional units is explicitly stated. So either you are using
different manual (coming from your distribution?) or probably
misunderstood it. In which case it would help if you suggested
corrections that make it more clear.

I guess that grub simply ignored '%' and interpreted value as absolute
one.

Or your grub does support proportional units for item_height indeed,
then it is distribution-specific patch.