grub-devel

Size, scaling and cropping of terminal box background in grub 2.02~beta2

From: John Hupp
Subject: Size, scaling and cropping of terminal box background in grub 2.02~beta2-9
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 09:50:44 -0400

In Towheed Mohammed's Definitive Guide To Theming GRUB 2, written for the stable release, he wrote concerning the terminal box background image:
The image is scaled to the screen's dimensions as set by the GRUB_GFXMODE variable. It is then cropped to fit within the center slice of the terminal window.
The center slice is set to 70% of the screen size and is centered on the screen. The upper left corner of the image maps to the upper left corner of the slice.
If that was true for the stable release, it is no longer true for the beta that shipped with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

With the boot menu top = 20%, I would have expected the top of the menu to be covered (with 5% to spare), but the first menu item was still visible. And since my boot menu and progress bar both have left = 14% and width = 72%, I would have expected the term box NOT to cover the sides of those, but it did. The scaling and cropping information likewise seems not to apply. For instance, even after explicitly setting grub_gfxmode='1024x768', the resulting terminal box is not 70% of that size (e.g. 717x538), but something much less.

As far as I can tell, the image is still centered, but can anyone supply current information on the size, scaling and cropping of the image?