grub-devel

Re: GRUB booting Mac OS X (xnu)

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: GRUB booting Mac OS X (xnu)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:06:19 -0600

OK I've got this working. The problem was user error. Explicitly setting root
is necessary, and I've updated the bug.

So the approach of chainloading Apple's boot.efi is valid. What's needed is to
consider Recovery HD (Apple Boot partitiontype GUID) to be the partition
searched by os-prober, figure out its UUID so that set root can be done by UUID.

The Apple Boot [1] is used by OS X 10.7 through 10.10, so it's a good start
point to search for OS X since it won't be anywhere else.

Going forward, any conventional HFS+ partition [2] isn't going to be OS X, but
instead will be any distribution using mactel boot, since putting grubx64.efi
on the FAT32 ESP is *not* picked up by Apple's firmware as a legit bootloader.
Only if there is an NVRAM entry for it, and bootcurrent has it listed first,
can it be used. By putting grubx64.efi on hfsplus, and tricking the firmware
into thinking it's an OS X bootloader, we get a prettier user friendly linux
boot experience on Macs.

[1] partitiontype GUID 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
[2] partitiontype GUID 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

Chris Murphy