grub-devel

Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:15:28 +0100

El 25/01/15 a las 09:03, adrian15 escribió:
El 24/01/15 a las 01:12, adrian15 escribió:
El 22/01/15 a las 22:25, Kris Moore escribió:

Hey all,

We are trying to create hybrid USB/DVD images, and they work just fine
on BIOS. However it doesn't seem to work when creating UEFI.

We are using the following:

# grub-mkrescue -d "/usr/local/lib/grub/x86_64-efi" -o <outfile> <dir>
-- -volid "OURLABEL"

This image does boot UEFI via DVD, but when copied to a USB stick with
dd it fails to boot with the following:

   Hi,

   I'm going to describe what I use for making a USB/CDROM EFI/x86
hybrid image for building SG2D (An improved Grub2 Disk).

   But my question (after reading other replies to this question) is why
Grub2 should be patched for what he wants ? Is it a non standard EFI
boot maybe?

   Thank you.

   Debian way
   ==========

I just wanted to say that recipe does not produce an image that can be
booted from UEFI hard disk.

I had assumed all this time that it worked (I only tested the EFI CDROM
boot) because if you read it here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM.html#Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM

grub-mkrescue -o grub.iso iso
This produces a file named grub.iso, which then can be burned into a CD
(or a DVD), or written to a USB mass storage device.

So, if I'm not mistaken that's not true when you boot from EFI (Well, I
know that you are fixing it on this thread).

adrian15

(Hopefully I'm not creating new threads when replying)

I had only tested 2.00 version (Where the hard disk is not detected as an EFI boot at all). My 2.02 version from GIT (old commit bac5d1a64ab4191058a8fd4c05f6b3b339e249e7) gives the same result as the OP:

error: disk `' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

So I'll try the suggested patch and reply to the email which announced it so that you can get more than one feedback from it.

I guess that in grub 2.02 you made sure that image produced from grub-mkrescue would boot from UEFI hard disk but somehow somewhere a regression was introduced.

In any case anyone is wondering I have made my UEFI boot tests thanks to:
kvm -bios /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd -boot c -hda super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.02s1-beta1.iso

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/