grub-devel

Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub-lnstall option (UEFI) for chainloading
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:08:24 +0300

12.10.2015 19:39, Daniel Kiper пишет:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:31:54PM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Barry Jackson <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/06/15 09:38, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

?? Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:56:20 +0100
Barry Jackson <address@hidden> ??????????:

Any progress on this?

Not really, sorry. Do you have any suggestion how such option should be
named?

Sorry for delay - this got lost in the noise.

Well something like --no-id-or-nvram ??

Not really bothered about the name! :)

I was about to suggest a patch when I realized that this probably is
currently useless on EFI. I.e. to actually chainload grub on EFI it
must reside on a partition accessible by firmware which practically
means it should be ESP.

Unless someone submits patch to make grub2 EFI core.img multiboot2
compliant with tag to skip ExitBootServices.

Relevant patches waiting for review for months. I am working on v3.
If they are upstreamed I will be happy too.

Your patches implement "client side" support (loading MB2 images); but EFI grub is not MB2 and has no provision for being loaded this way. Also it is PE, not ELF.

Actually chainloading probably could be made to work on arbitrary filesystem if argument parsing is added (to pass along cmdpath).