grub-devel

Re: Grub2: add UEFI support for accessing memory address above 4GB.

From: Brendan Trotter
Subject: Re: Grub2: add UEFI support for accessing memory address above 4GB.
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 20:27:45 +1030

Hi,

> Le 7 mars 2017 17:24, "Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko" <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> I'd like to know more about the usecase. Generally you should avoid downloading or loading too large files in bootloader. I.a. TFTP protocol has problems with files over about 100MIB. Generally you should download only kernel + initrd and rest of the system should be on iSCSI or NFS.

"Ancient TFTP" (with 512-byte blocks and 16-bit block numbers that aren't allowed to roll over) has problems with files over 32 MiB. "Modern TFTP" (with larger/negotiated block size and 16-bit block numbers that are allowed to roll over) has no limit at all.

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017, 09:09 Michel Hermier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Because I don't trust automatic detection. Even if one say it is 200% safe, there is allways that machine that nobody heard of that will fail. So having user being able to force some values is usually a good idea.

What do you think is more reliable: well designed auto-detection code that was written and tested by competent developer/s that know exactly what they're doing and why; or a random user who failed read the documentation, thought it did something else, screwed everything up, then blames you for their mistake, then blames you for giving them the ability to make the mistake?

Cheers,

Brendan