grub-devel

Re: GRUB fails to load kernel on linux-sparc64

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: GRUB fails to load kernel on linux-sparc64
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 12:54:25 +0200

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:43:01AM -0600, Eric Snowberg wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 2019, at 3:40 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > On 4/17/19 11:34 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >> Going to decompress the kernel now and see if that helps. I'm just
> >> surprised
> >> that GRUB supposedly doesn't support compressed kernels on sparc64 when
> >> we have used that before with 2.02.
> >
> > Okay, the uncompressed kernel works. Guess it was just pure luck that it
> > worked with the compressed one in the past.
>
> I don’t know the history behind the compression limitation, it was
> documented as a platform limitation before I started using GRUB on
> SPARC64.  It may be related to the hardcoded 2M heap.  In the past
> I’ve bumped it up and had better results with other things. You could
> try increasing it in: grub-core/kern/ieee1275/init.c (line 156) and
> see if it resolves your problem. I don’t know the impact a change like
> this would cause to older platforms or if the maintainers would accept
> such a change.

I will be happy if somebody fixes this decompression issue and makes
GRUB working with compressed kernels on SPARC platforms. However,
relevant fix has to be tested on various SPARC machines. Though even
then I am not convinced to treat this as a release material. Until you
convince me that I should...

Daniel