grub-devel

Disable CLI in submenu but allow users to access it

From: Paul Menzel
Subject: Disable CLI in submenu but allow users to access it
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 15:05:21 +0100

Dear GRUB folks,

Is it possible to allow unprivileged users to access a submenu but
not enter the command-line interface?

Reading the documentation [1] it’s not clear to me how to do that,
and my tests to do that also failed.

The warning in [2] also hints that it’s not possible.

> Warning — Adding --unrestricted to a menu entry with submenuentry
> will allow ANYONE gain superuser authority in the submenuentry ! So
> make sure the --unrestricted option is not used for a menu entry with
> submenuentry, Or add GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y to /etc/default/grub /
> /etc/sysconfig/grub to disable submenu.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Security