grub-devel

auth - Fix

From: address@hidden
Subject: auth - Fix
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:18:27 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I found a very annoying bug in the authentication feature of grub (grub-core/normal/auth.c). The feature uses the function grub_printf to print backspaces to the screen, but the function fails to remove/override the last printed character and setting the cursor one step back (printing backspace). It simply moves the cursor one step forward, when it reveives a backspace character. Therfore the username entered by user is not displayed correctly, if the user used the backspace key (this problem has no effect on the input buffer; it only affects the display of the user input).
The patch I attached this mail should fix this bug. It manipulates the cursor directly, if the user pressed the backspace key.