grub-devel

Re: Mips-arc tests ever work?

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: Mips-arc tests ever work?
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 13:10:07 -0600

On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 14:47:40 +0100
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On 12/5/20 1:33 PM, Glenn Washburn wrote:
> > I'm looking into getting grub qemu testing working for the "mis-arc"
> > target. Is anyone running these tests successfully?
>
> I'm running manual tests for all architectures before each release.

What exactly are manual tests?  Is that running manually the tests for
that target? (ie "make check" for that target)

Also what version of qemu are you running to do the tests?

> > In grub-shell that target passed the -M indy arguments to qemu.
> > qemu-system-mips64 is saying that that is an invalid machine type.
> > The available machine types are magnum, malta, mips, mipssim, none,
> > and pica61. The indy machine type appears to not be available since
> > at least qemu 2.5, perhaps it was dropped some time ago?
>
> I could not find any reference to "indy" in the qemu git log. Are you
> sure it was ever officially supported? I assume the tests here were
> run on real hardware.

Take a look in "tests/util/grub-shell.in" and you'll find the offending
test code in grub.  I have no clue either way whether it was ever
supported, but someone obviously did because its in the test code.  And
that someone might be Vladimir (phcoder) who committed the code.  This
is why I'm wondering if it ever worked.

> > According to wikipedia the SGI Indy originally used R4k processors.
> > So would machine type mips be the one to use since its description
> > says "mips r4k platform"?
>
> No, that was a different, generic machine type, see [1].

I'm confused by this response.  My qemu doesn't list a "r4k" machine
type and its version 4.2.1.  The machine type "mips" says its the r4k
platform, but that doesn't look like what's being removed in that
commit.  Reviewing the hw/mips/Kconfig, it looks like the machine types
have changed a lot since 4.2.1, so maybe it was renamed to "r4k"
(haven't checked yet).  However if it was renamed and is being removed,
that's going to cause further problems (when/if we use qemu 5.2 for
testing) because grub-shell is using the "mips" machine type for
"mips-qemu_mips" and "mipsel-qemu_mips".

> > But then why wouldn't it already use that machine type like the
> > target "mips-qemu_mips"?
>
> It's possible the author of this change assumed that qemu supports
> the indy target which apparently it does not.

Vladimir?

> > So can anyone familiar with this tell me an appropriate machine
> > type of the above listed to use instead of indy?  Perhaps Vladimir
> > who committed that code can chime in?

Ultimately, I just want to know what machine should I use if not indy
for the "mips-arc" target?  I know very little about mips and what an
appropriate machine type would be for emulating this target.

Glenn