grub-devel

Re: Collecting GRUB 2.06 test results

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: Re: Collecting GRUB 2.06 test results
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 20:29:41 +0100

Hello Glenn!

On 2/10/21 8:21 PM, Glenn Washburn wrote:
> Thanks for this these tests. Are you running these tests on the
> same architecture that you're testing? Or, for instance, running the
> tests for all architectures on say x86_64?

Those were all tested on native hardware with a few exceptions:

- 32-bit PowerPC tests were run on a 64-bit PowerPC machine
- 32-bit MIPS tests were run on a 64-bit MIPS machine

I do have an iBook G4 and could run the 32-bit PowerPC tests there.

(Now I'm actually not sure anymore whether I ran the 32-bit PowerPC
 tests on the G4, but I can still do that. The machine is next to
 me, just currently powered off).

> I'd like to note that it appears that these tests do not perform most
> of the various filesystem tests.

I ran the tests with "make check" (or "make test"), I did not make
any modifications. If some tests were not run that's because GRUB does
not enable them on the target in question.

> Also, I believe mips arch is not being tested here. And it appears that
> none of the qemu tests for mipsle are being run due to not having qemu
> for that arch installed.

What do you mean by "here"?

> None of the qemu tests are being run for most of the architectures (I
> also haven't figured out how to get them to run on most architectures).
> But I have gotten the qemu tests to run for arm and arm64, which they
> are not running in your tests. What is especially odd, is that for
> armhf grub-shell is looking for 'qemu-system-i386' and not finding it.
> But it should be looking for the arm qemu variant.
>
> For completeness, The risc architecture is not being tested either. Yes,
> I know most tests fail because of a bug. Are we considering it an
> unsupported platform because its unusable, even though it can be built?

I currently do not have access to a RISC-V machine yet. I have preordered
one and also applied for a developer machine from SiFive, but I haven't
gotten any yet.

> Where is the list of architectures "supported" by GRUB? Or is it all
> the ones allowed to be built by master?

You can see that by looking at the configure.ac. It's basically all targets
that build more than just the utilities.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz