grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.06~rc1 released

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.06~rc1 released
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:25:22 -0600

Hi Bruce,

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:30:01 -0600
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/12/21 1:57 PM, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The GRUB maintainers are proud to announce the GRUB 2.06~rc1 that
> > has been just released.
>
> Congratulations.
>
> For LFS, we do a very simple build in a sparse environment.  Here are
> a few observations.
>
> We use:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr          \
>              --sbindir=/sbin        \
>              --sysconfdir=/etc      \
>              --disable-efiemu       \
>              --disable-werror
>
> That works cleanly.  However there are two files that generate
> warnings:
>
> ./grub-core/script/parser.y:92.1-12: warning: deprecated directive:
> ‘%pure-parser’, use ‘%define api.pure’ [-Wdeprecated]
>     92 | %pure-parser
>        | ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>        | %define api.pure
>
> ./grub-core/script/parser.y: warning: fix-its can be applied.  Rerun
> with option '--update'. [-Wother]
>
> grub-core/lib/libgcrypt-grub/cipher/rijndael.c: In function
> ‘do_setkey’: grub-core/lib/libgcrypt-grub/cipher/rijndael.c:229:9:
> warning: suggest braces around empty body in an ‘if’ statement
> [-Wempty-body] 229 |         ;
>        |         ^
>
> grub-core/lib/libgcrypt-grub/cipher/rijndael.c:352:21: warning:
> comparison of integer expressions of different signedness: ‘int’ and
> ‘unsigned int’ [-Wsign-compare]
>    352 |       for (i = 0; i < keylen; i++)
>        |                     ^
>
> It seems that the above is run twice by make, but the fixes are
> trivial.

I'm curious, what compiler and version are you using?

> For make check, I get 43 failures.  Many appear to be due to our
> sparse environment.  In most cases I think these tests should be SKIP
> instead of FAIL, but I'll follow up with a more detailed report later.

I'm looking forward to the report. I think ideally the tests should use
a very minimal common set of utilities (with some obvious exceptions
like qemu and mkfs.*). The tests should only SKIP if its not an
appropriate test for the configured target. More likely, they should
ERROR to indicated that there was a failure to run the test, not a
failure of what the test was testing. This lets the tester know that
there's likely an environmental issue that needs to be fixed to get
tests working as they should.

Glenn