grub-devel

Re: About the code style requirement

From: Qu Wenruo
Subject: Re: About the code style requirement
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:04:59 +0800

On 2021/9/29 14:34, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

Le mer. 29 sept. 2021, 07:42, Qu Wenruo via Grub-devel <grub-devel@gnu.org <mailto:grub-devel@gnu.org>> a écrit :

    Hi,

    I'm recently considering to cross-port btrfs-progs/U-boot btrfs code to
    GRUB, so that we can have more unified code base, with more features
    (and of-course bug fixes)

Did you check the license compatibility first? GRUB is GPLv3+ project and we can't accept code that is GPLv2-only. What license is the code that you want to use?

Oh, didn't know there would be license problem.

Then it would be complex.

Quite some code is directly copied from kernel without modification, those should still be GPL-2.0 only.

For code already cross-ported to U-boot, it's GPL-2.0+, I guess it would be OK there.

But from what I see in btrfs-progs, most of them is still GPL 2.0.

I guess during the cross-port to U-boot, I have already broken the GPL 2.0 requirement...

Any advice on this problem?

Thanks,
Qu

    But the first blockage I'm hitting is the code style.

    It looks like GRUB is using its own code style which is not found in
    kernel/btrfs-progs/U-boot.

    But I didn't find where the code style doc is, so is it a hard
    requirement to follow the existing style even we're cross-porting most
    code unmodified from other projects?

    Thanks,
    Qu