grub-devel

Re: Lagging cursor in GRUB menu with HiDPI display

From: Hans de Goede
Subject: Re: Lagging cursor in GRUB menu with HiDPI display
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:19:32 +0200

Hi Paul,

On 8/23/22 17:01, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear GRUB folks,
>

> Trying to navigate the GRUB menu on a HiDPI display (GOP driver), in this
> case a Dell XPS 13 9370, the cursor response is quite lagging. Especially in
> the edit mode (c) moving around a line is quite slow. Each step takes, I’d
> say, half a second.
>
> Using a font with a bigger size, it’s still reproducible.
>
> Is that a known problems, and do you know of workarounds?

This sounds like your grub build may not have this patch yet:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2022-01/msg00170.html

That patch at least fixes the drawing of the regular boot menu
being slow when using the EFI console (so when NOT using
grub's gfxterm console).

Assuming you are not using grub's gfxterm for the console,
then you could try that as a workaround.

Regards,

Hans