grub-devel

Re: [Regression] efi: Don't display a uefi-firmware entry if it's not su

From: Mike Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Regression] efi: Don't display a uefi-firmware entry if it's not supported
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:14:55 -0400

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 4:16 PM Robbie Harwood <rharwood@redhat.com> wrote:
> Why doesn't grub on the MBR get updated when you install a new grub
> package?  That seems like the real issue here - what am I missing?

I think the grub project tries to maintain config file compatibility
with older versions so that users can use new config files even if an
older grub version is still installed in /boot/grub.

> Regardless, if we can't count on fwsetup being updated, then I think we
> need to go back to the original version of my patch which doesn't have
> --is-supported.

You could add a feature flag, which causes grub-core to set an
environment variable when a new feature is supported. See the features
array in grub-core/normal/main.c.

You would then check for this feature flag in the grub.d snippet
before calling fwsetup --is-supported.