grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12 released

From: Oskari Pirhonen
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12 released
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 22:38:29 -0600

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 17:13:33 +0100, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 01:30:03AM -0600, Oskari Pirhonen wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 18:10:57 +0100, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > GRUB maintainers are proud to announce GRUB 2.12 that has been just
> > > released.
> > > You can find list of new features and major fixes since release 2.06 in
> > > the
> > > NEWS file.
> > >
> > > We would like to thank all the people who have contributed to the project.
> > >

> > First of all, congrats on releasing. It's been a long time in the
>
> Thank you!
>
> > making. But...
>
> Yeah, I am not happy with that too. I hope we will be releasing yearly
> starting from now and shorten release candence at point when it is
> needed/possible/...

This is good to hear. I know there's distro maintainers who don't enjoy
having to keep large patch sets on top of the releases.

> > > The tarball is available at https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12.tar.xz
> > > and its signature at https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12.tar.xz.sig
> > >

> > The release tarball fails to build because the grub-core/extra_deps.lst
> > file is not included in it. I just sent a patch which fixes it (at least
> > on my end).
> >
> > Hopefully it works for others too and a new release can be made.
>
> I have just pushed your patch. If more issues will pop up then maybe
> I will cut a minor release.
>
> Daniel

CC'd distributions list in case there's people there who don't watch
this list but might be interested in knowing why the release tarball
fails.

FYI for them, the missing file is grub-core/extra_deps.lst and, at the
time of writing, contains the following line:

    depends bli part_gpt

- Oskari